Stewardship is recognizing God as both Creator and Possessor of everything in heaven and on earth. As stewards we are totally dependent upon God for every blessing. He provides everything we need for life—time, talents, and possessions.
- Tithe—God defines tithe as 10% of our increase, which is “holy to the Lord.” The storehouse for the tithe is the conference, and the funds are used to support pastors, evangelists, and church school teachers.
- Offerings—These are the gifts to God that accompany the tithe. They say “thank you” for His daily care and blessings to us. There are several types of offerings:
- Church Budget—Your local church needs you to give of your time and talents for its outreach and nurture ministries, but it also needs your financial support. Church budget covers all church expense, the Sabbath School budget, outreach ministries, etc.
- World Missions—Sabbath Schools around the world support the world mission program of the Church.
- World Budget—Ministries supported by World Budget include evangelism, church institutions, and service agencies.
- Michigan Advance Partners (MAP)—This offering supports eight aspects of the work of the church on the conference level including evangelism, building programs, Camp Au Sable, camp meeting, and education.
Be assured of this, “God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed” (2 Cor. 9:8, NASB).
A fourth-generation Adventist and Michigander by birth, Joel Nephew began denominational work in 1988 as a Literature Evangelist. He started pastoring in the New York Conference in 1992, where he was later ordained to the gospel ministry. He and his wife Corina have two adult sons, Justin and Alex. In his leisure time Joel enjoys cutting wood, beekeeping and short-term building projects, as well as basketball and the occasional round of golf; but his passion is for enlarging the kingdom of God. He has been in the Trust Services Department since November, 2012.
Jody Murphy has been employed at the Michigan Conference for over 25 years. Currently, among other departments, she works with the Men’s Ministries Department. She and her husband Bob have two married sons and four grandchildren. In her free time she enjoys baking and camping.